An internship with the Jesuit College Prep Department of Athletic Performance will benefit all parties involved.
The intern will obtain experience in the field of athletic performance in the high school setting, including but not limited to: increasing a base of knowledge as it pertains to the field, learning/mastering technique on foundational lifts, gain exposure to the daily administrative duties as related to the organization and gain coaching experience in accordance with the philosophy of the department.
The experience gained during this internship will be achieved through…
- A curriculum consisting of a weekly workload minimum of 20-40 hours obtained during training sessions -
- The minimum hour requirements ensures that the individual involved and staff gain equal benefit from the internship as well as allow ample opportunity for the intern to have a realistic experience of the profession.
- Weekly article and video reviews – The weekly article and video reviews will help the intern gain a background of knowledge on areas such as training principles, nutrition and research.
- Administrative duties as assigned by the staff – Administrative duties such as set up and daily maintenance will provide experience in the upkeep of the facility. These duties will increase in intensity as initiative and trust is established between all parties involved.
- Mandatory training sessions – The workout routines for the training sessions will be created by the staff to allow the intern to work on his/her technique, personal physical development and gain a deeper understanding of the strength and conditioning principles they are learning.
The department will benefit through the increased supervision during training sessions and the assistance of maintaining and preparing the facility for daily workouts. It is important that the intern brings his/her own unique sets of skills to benefit the staff. As the internship progresses, it must be understood how personal strengths and weaknesses coincide with the department goals. As felt appropriate the intern should use his/her strengths to solidify the department while building upon weaknesses with help from the staff. In addition, it is the duty of any professional in their respective field to mentor and aid in the development of those considering entering the field.
The internship evaluation will be based on specific evaluation forms provided by the Athletic Performance staff and his/her institution (as applicable). The quality of evaluation received is based on the level to which the intern satisfies the staff’s expectation as outlined in their manual. By understanding and adhering to the internship expectations outlined and being diligent in following through on the professional development opportunities, the prospective intern can assume a positive experience.
As a staff, we will work hard to make the internship experience positive and expect the same in return. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.